Them’s Fightin’ Herds is an indie 2D fighting game developed by Mane6. The game features a roster of unglulates, who are fighting to determine the Key Keeper who will save their world, Fœnum, from the return of the Predators. An early access version of the game was released for Microsoft Windows on February 22, 2019, with plans to release version 1.0 sometime in 2020.
The title is a reworking of Fighting is Magic, a fangame featuring the main characters of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. After receiving a cease and desist from Hasbro for violating their intellectual property rights, Mane6 discarded their original premise, game engine, and art assets, and developed Them's Fightin' Herds as an original product with a new story and characters from Friendship is Magic creator Lauren Faust. On September 21, 2015, Mane6 launched an Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign, which was ultimately successful.
Story and GameplayEdit
In the world of Fœnum, sapient ungulates used to live in fear of carnivorous animals known as the Predators. The Horned Prophet was able to seal the Predators away in an otherworldly realm called The Hold, but they have found a way to escape it. To prevent them from returning to Fœnum, the various ungluate species select champions to find The Prophet's Key and reseal the Predators. Each champion must face each other in a competition to determine who will be the Key Keeper and face the Predators' champion, The Devourer.
Them's Fightin' Herds utilizes a four-button fighting system, each button controlling, light, medium, heavy, and magic attacks. Currently, there are six playable characters, with different fighting movesets and movement options such as flight, short hops, double jumps, and air dashes. A seventh character is planned to be released after the full game's launch, due to the Indiegogo campaign reaching it's relevant stretch goal. == Characters==
- Arizona (Tara Strong)
- Velvet (Tia Ballard)
- Oleander (Alexa Khan)
- Paprika (Marieve Harrington)
- Pom (Allie Moreno)
- Tianhuo (Kay Bess)
- Unknown Goat Character (Upcoming DLC)
- ↑ Speer, Josh (February 22, 2019). Them's Fightin' Herds Hoofs it to Early Access Today. oprainfall. Retrieved on January 13, 2020.
- ↑ Stavely, Aaron (December 6, 2019). Development Update - December 6, 2019. Them's Fightin' Herds - Forums. Retrieved on January 13, 2020.
- ↑ Kuang, Jason (June 28, 2011). My Little Pony gets a 2D fighter: Bronies, time to knuckle up. 2DX. Archived from the original on August 9, 2011. Retrieved on January 13, 2020.
- ↑ Matulef, Jeffrey. My Little Pony: FiM creator launches brony fighting game crowdfunding campaign. Eurogamer. Retrieved on January 13, 2010.
- ↑ Isaac, Chris (October 19, 2015). Interview: Them's Fightin' Herds Lauren Faust and the Mane6 Team on Their Fighting Game. The Mary Sue. Retrieved on January 13, 2010.